Posted on: February 5, 2019
Persian Love Cake
Planning on baking this Valentines Day? Woo your special guest with this mouthwatering Persian love cake recipe from Turmeric and Saffron.
Persian love cake originated as an enchantment created by a woman who was head over heels in love with a prince. It is said that her magical concoction was just the ticket for everlasting love and adoration from the prince, and that the two lived happily ever after.
Makes 8 Servings
3 cups almond meal
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup strained yogurt
2 tablespoons rosewater
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
Zest of 1 lime
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/4 cup chopped pistachios
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 tablespoon dried and crushed rose petals *optional*
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large mixing bowl combine almond meal, sugar, butter and salt. Mix thoroughly by hands.
- Generously butter the bottom and sides of a 9- inch springform pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. Divide mixture in half and press half of the mixture evenly into the bottom of the greased pan.
- Beat the eggs lightly and add to the remaining almond meal sugar mixture. Add yogurt, lime zest, lime juice, cardamom and rose water and using a wooden spoon mix all ingredients together until well blended.
- Pour the creamy mixture over the prepared base in the pan and using a small spatula smooth out the surface. Sprinkle the chopped pistachios, sliced almonds and rose petals on top or however you want to decorate. It’s your love cake!
- Set the cake on the middle-rack of the oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until center is set.
- Remove from oven and cool completely in the pan.
- Transfer cake onto a serving platter, slice, serve, and enjoy!